Monday, November 10, 2008

shoved in a corner!

Sometimes our workspaces are... less than optimal? But it is important to learn how to make the best of what is available. I just finished working on a dance show (with a hip-hop guest artist) that took place in a converted 100 year old house. It is normally used as a rehearsal studio, so there was no place for technicians, no usable live soundsystem, and the lighting system was original from about 50 years ago.

But with brilliant work by the entire tech crew (all four or five of us) and extremely creative thinking by the director of the show, we put on a really excellent production. Three different studios were used to house different pieces, giving each one a unique setting with its own lighting and feel. One piece actually took place outdoors and in the windows of the building, to great effect!

They have another weekend to run the show (without me, as there is no more hip-hop), so I'm on to the next project, which involves dancers in wheelchairs, hidden sound gear, and my accordion... I don't want to give away too much until the show is over though, so I'll leave it at that.

Picture is of the sound board from my cozy corner... on a piano bench. Cheers!

No comments: