Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Moving somewhere where I'll have a small audio and music studio space, and a more open workshop which I'll be sharing with a friend working on automobile projects. Time to pack up and sort through all the hanging projects in my shop, finishing up anything that I can. I'm not too into the idea of hauling too much useless junk into the new house.


This module is from a Re'an patchbay that I carelessly dropped a few months ago. Supergluing it together is one thing, but in order to get it actually functional, something more substantial is necessary.

Obviously I can't trust that glue joint to take a lot of pressure, but it should last  plenty long in a well dressed rack.


There's this pretty little thing that I picked up in Portland. I'm pretty sure that it works - I mean, every now and then the light blinks, and if you have headphones there's a click - but I don't have any radioactive material around to help me confirm.


It's a good thing, I suppose, that I don't really NEED this for anything. Here's a half a dozen potentially leaky caps and a selenium stack in a fun little rat's nest. Don't really have time to dig here, so this one is just going to have to sit until the apocalypse.


Just for your info, if you plan on building a tube gieger counter one of your own.

Meanwhile, at work:


We're finally getting the new soundsystem we've been dreaming of, but first I have to trace all the conduit coming in and out of these pinblocks. The wiring dates back to the 60's and 70's for the most part. While it's very neat and tidy, it's drastically overbuilt by today's standards, and not in a particularly useful way.

I'm hoping that by pulling some speaker wire (actually loose 16 gauge) I'll free up enough conduit to our recording booth to help along a clean install.

2 comments:

crochambeau said...

Gotta love the old Sears. I'd seen Tower cameras, but had no idea they branched that into geiger counters as well. Holy 1950s, Batman!

Anonymous said...

Most technology blogs give critical readers of products that help them understand and make a decision on what type of device would best suit their needs. If it was not for technology blogs, we would never be able to compare the best laptops, the best phones, the best tablets etc.

Technology Blog